Rescue for carbon monoxide poisoning in townhouse and garage on Franklin Lane, Buffalo Grove.
Buffalo Grove police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 11:44 PM Saturday July 22, 2017 to a report of a suicidal subject in a garage at 1164 Franklin Lane Buffalo Grove, Il. Police arrived first to find one male unresponsive and not breathing, began CPR, and rescued a woman inside the townhouse.
Firefighter/paramedics from Long Grove SQD55, first firefighter/paramedics on scene, immediately went to work with patient care for a male victim on the driveway in front of the garage.
Additional firefighter/paramedics from Buffalo Grove also arrived and worked on patient care for the male patient’s mother.
Firefighters found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide(CO) — even after some time for ventilation with garage door open, CO levels were 600 PPM. Neighbors in an adjacent, connected townhouse were evacuated from their residence.
CO Levels and Toxic Symptoms
200 PPM Slight headache, tiredness, dizziness, nausea after 2-3 hours, might be life-threatening in long exposures.
400 PPM Frontal headaches within 1-2 hours, life-threatening after 3 hours.
800 PPM Dizziness, nausea and convulsions within 45 minutes. Unconsciousness within 2 hours. Death within 2-3 hours.
1600 PPM Headache, dizziness and nausea within 20 minutes. Death within 1 hour.
3200 PPM Headache, dizziness and nausea within 5-20 minutes. Quickly impaired thinking. Death within 30 minutes.
6400 PPM Headache, dizziness and nausea within 1-2 minutes. Thinking impaired before response possible. Death within 10-15 minutes.
12,800 PPM Death within 1-3 minutes.
70,000 PPM Typical tailpipe exhaust concentrations from cold gasoline engine during the first minute of a cold weather start. Concentrations decreased to 2 ppm after 17 minutes of running.
Three police officers reported possible symptoms related to CO exposure.
In total 5 people were transported to area hospitals (two civilians and three Buffalo Grove police officers).
Firefighter/paramedics turned the scene over to police, where the scene was declared a crime scene.
Buffalo Grove Fire Department Battalion Chief Shawn Collins said the exact source of the Carbon Monoxide was a police matter, and Buffalo Grove police are investigating. Bystanders could see that a machine, possibly a power washer, appeared to have been pulled out of the garage, onto the driveway.
The conditions of the people transported were unknown just after midnight.
Arlington Heights and Long Grove firefighter/paramedics assisted Buffalo Grove firefighter/paramedics, and Arlington Heights police assisted Buffalo Grove police.
A neighbor said the man in the townhouse had been despondent about the recent death of a family member.
FIRE/MEDIC UNITS ASSIGNED …
TRUCK(S): Q27 Q25
SQUAD(S): Long Grove SQD55
RIT: BC ?? T ??
EMS: A26 A25 Arlington Heights A4
Stay informed with news from PublicSafetyReporter.com’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have Facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the timeline, or send a message to the page.