Chicago Fire Department: John Hancock Center Fire Was “Accidental” Caused by Candle

WITNESS VIDEO: A fire broke out on the 50th floor of the John Hancock Center skyscraper in Chicago, Saturday, injuring at least on person.

A fire in a 50th floor residential unit Saturday, November 22, 2015 has been ruled accidental and caused by a candle, according to Chicago Fire Department Office of Fire Investigation.

Chicago police and firefighters and paramedics responded about 2:30 PM Saturday to a report of a fire in a high-rise at the John Hancock Center, 175 East Delaware Place Chicago, IL. Police and firefighter/paramedics received a report of a fire at the John Hancock Center on the 50th floor.

Fire Engine 98’s crew — first on the scene –reported nothing showing upon their arrival. Shortly afterward flames were seen coming out windows about halfway up the John Hancock Center.

A firefighting investigative team (interior crew) headed up to the 50th floor to determine the location of the fire by about 2:41 p.m.

An injured police officer was rescued and transferred immediately to the lobby. He suffered smoke inhalation.

 FIRE VIDEO … … 

A Still and Box Alarm and EMS Plan 1 was requested at 2:45 p.m.

The fire was declared extinguished by about 3:10 p.m., as firefighters on truck companies were gathering with electric fans to provide ventilation and the clearing of smoke.

The fire was upgraded to a 2-11 Alarm at 3:22 p.m. for search and rescue operations. The 2-11 Alarm was struck out at about 3:55 p.m.

The EMS Plan 1 was secured at 4:25 p.m. with a total of five patients transported to hospital(s) with minor injuries.

The fire occurred as The Magnificent Mile Lights Festival was underway, and just hours before the Tree-Lighting Parade along North Michigan Avenue from Oak Street to Wacker Drive.

LIVE TRAFFIC MAP of neighborhood to a report of a fire in a high-rise at the John Hancock Center, 175 East Delaware Place Chicago, IL …

PHOTO CREDIT: CHICAGO FIRE MEDIA … Fire at John Hancock Center on the 50th Floor, Chicago — Police Officer Injured
www.arlingtoncardinal.com/?p=76293

Posted by Emergencies Behind the Scenes on Saturday, November 21, 2015



Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …

JohnHancockFireCFDflamesJohn Hancock Center fire on November 21, 2015 (PHOTO CREDIT: Chicago Fire Media).