About 200 Ignore Curfew in Ferguson Protest: 7 Arrested, 1 Shot Now in Critical Condition

 amazon fresh   amazon prime    audible  

A couple hundred defiant protesters remained in Ferguson, Missouri early Sunday morning after a midnight curfew took effect. Many others left peacefully before the midnight to 5 a.m. deadline took effect.

Police in riot gear fired teargas at protesters who defied a state-imposed night curfew in the Missouri city of Ferguson, after several nights of violence and looting. August 9, 2014 an unarmed 18-year-old was shot dead by a police officer, and citizens are calling for justice and venting anger and protest over the police-involved shooting.

About 200 demonstrators ignored a State of Missouri order to return home at midnight made as part of a state of emergency declared Saturday afternoon. Missouri Governor Jay Nixon announced the curfew.

Seven people were arrested for failing to disperse, according to Captain Ron Johnson of the Missouri state highway patrol. Earlier authorities promised that the curfew would not be enforced by teargas, but after a rep;ort of armed men on the roof of a barbecue restaurant, teargas was deployed. One man was shot and transported in a personal vehicle to a local hospital, where he was listed in critical condition Sunday morning. Police report that the shooting was not committed by a police officer.

Several protesters threw stones at police and polices, shouted obscenities at a wall of advancing riot police officers. Protesters also chanted “no justice, no curfew” and “we are Mike Brown” as they gathered.

Police issued repeated warnings over a loudspeaker for about 40 minutes after the curfew began, saying, “You are violating the state-imposed curfew. You must clear the roadway and disperse peacefully. Failure to comply may result in arrest and/or other actions.”

Next, police fired smoke and gas canisters into the crowd, which caused people to run in all directions.

Protestors in Ferguson Missouri took to the streets Saturday after Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon declared a state of emergency and imposed a curfew that day. Former New Black Panther party president marched, and Captain Ron Johnson joined protestors.

Arlingtoncardinal.com is an Amazon Associate website, which means that a small percentage of your purchases gets paid to Arlingtoncardinal.com at no extra cost to you. When you use the search boxes above, any Amazon banner ad, or any product associated with an Amazon banner on this website, you help pay expenses related to maintaining Arlingtoncardinal.com and creating new services and ideas for a resourceful website. See more info at Arlingtoncardinal.com/AdDisclosure