WOW! Digital Cable – High Speed Internet — Home Phone was affected by a major outage in Arlington Heights, Des Plaines, Glenview, Mount Prospect, Park Ridge and Prospect Heights starting about 11:45 a.m. Monday. A major fiber-optic line was cut at an intersection in Schaumburg that knocked out service to about 17,000 WOW! customers that have cable television, cable Internet, and cable telephone.
WOW! recently announced a whole-house DVR box that can record six programs simultaneously. The box also serves at the router for Internet.
WOW! has no convenient link to a status page on their website, but a Facebook page (Facebook.com/thewowbuzz) is providing some updates to the incident.
At first the WOW! Facebook update reported 2-3 hours minimum for restoration … then 5-10 hours. The last message of the day reported, “We may possibly have services back up no sooner than Midnight.” That’s a funny sentence from a customer service center that should be on full alert.
TOP TEN CUSTOMER REACTIONS …
1. Need it for Bulls at 7pm and WWE at 8pm.
2. so much for the bulls game
3. Someone got a little too excited with the backhoe
4. I would like to think all Illinois customers would get an automatic credit and not have to call to receive it!
5. Time to look at fiber redundancy.
6. Ugh. Really need updates on the Illinois outage, not worthless patter like this.
7. 24 hours, What!!!!!
8. wow this sucks
9. WOW thats a long time
10. wow what (sic) going on
A lot of people learned to turn their smart phones into hot spots, while others stewed and considered switching to another provider. WOW! still provides competitive service, and all providers need to improve on redundancy and status notifications.