Dashcam Video: German Shepherd led police to a fire at his owners’ property. The owner suffered minor burns when gasoline ignited and engulfed a workshop where car repairs were underway.
Alaska State Troopers will be presenting a special award to Buddy, a German Shepherd that led authorities to a fire at his owners’ property on April 4, 2010. The owner suffered minor burns after a heater apparently ignited chemicals in the family’s workshop at a home in Anchorage, Alaska. Buddy’s owner, Ben Heinrichs, 23, was working on a vehicle in the workshop outside the family’s home in the Caswell Lakes area when a spark from a heater ignited gasoline. Heinrichs suffered flash burns to his face and second-degree burns to his left hand, and the fire became fully-involved in the workshop area. Heinrichs set his dog loose with the intention to have the dog get help. The trooper first responder had difficulty finding the fire scene because the squad car’s GPS device wasn’t working properly. The trooper sighted the dog on Caswell Loop Road a little over one mile south of Caswell, and the dog started running. State trooper Terrence Shanigan decided to follow, since the dog could have been on a mission to lead the officer to the fire.
The dashcam video shows the German Shepherd waiting as a police car arrives, and then running to the building fire with police following.