BLOOMINGTON — An arrest sweep by state and local police Monday resulted in felony charges against 14 Illinois State University students and two others.
Seven defendants that were arrest Monday were in court for bond hearings Tuesday afternoon and six others that were arrested Monday were released earlier after posting bond. Three more were arrested Tuesday on drug-related charges.
The arrests were part of an ongoing investigation into drug sales by Task Force 6, a multi-jurisdictional narcotics unit, according to Ben Halloran, Task Force 6 commander. The drug offenses include selling cocaine, marijuana and Ecstasy on the university campus and possession with intent to deliver drugs. Family members of the defendants and other students filled the courtroom for the bond hearings conducted via a video hook-up with the McLean County jail.
All but one of the bonds recommended by prosecutors was reduced by Associate Judge Casey Costigan. Steven Albert, 19, of Channahon, successfully argued that he qualified for a $20,000 personal recognizance bond on marijuana delivery charges. Upcoming final exams and a clean criminal history were among his arguments for release without posting a cash bond.
A $50,000 cash bond requested for Daniel Penney, 22, of Normal, remained unchanged. He faces a Class X felony charge of selling drugs near a public park or school.
The following people were arrested Monday (charges and bond included):
• Ryan Stone, 22, Hinsdale, delivery of cannabis, $2,000.
• Tyler Riggin, 19, Downers Grove, delivery of cannabis and delivery of the drug at a dorm in Watterson Towers, $2,000.
• Michael Johnson,19, Rochester, possession with intent to deliver marijuana, $3,000.
• Derrick Heard, 26, Island Lake, delivery of marijuana on the grounds of Chiddix Junior High School, $1,000.
• Todd Fanning, 21, Green Oaks, delivery of cannabis, posted $ $2,000.
• Troy Agusto, 25, Lindenhurst, delivery of cannabis, $2,000.
• Laura Fantasia, 19, Orland Park, delivery of cannabis, $100.
• Brad McKay, 21, Inverness, delivery of cannabis, $500.
• Marc Dodero, 21, Naperville, delivery of cannabis and delivery of Esctasy near a school, $500.
• Keith Vallera, 21, Woodridge, delivery of cannabis, $300.
• David Michael, 22, Lake Zurich, delivery of cannabis, $300.
• Steven Albert, delivery of marijuana, $20,000 Personal Recognizance bond.
• Daniel Penney, delivery of cocaine near a school or park, $50,000 CASH BOND.
(Penny faces a Class X felony charge of selling drugs near a public park or school.)
Derrick Heard and Troy Agusto do not attend ISU.
The following people were arrested Tuesday (charges and bond included):
• David Augustine, Charleston, marijuana delivery charges, $2,000
• James Carlson, Normal, marijuana delivery charges, $2,000
• Michael Kavanaugh, 31, Evergreen Park, delivery of cannabis, amphetamines and hydrocodone; $5,000
The following police agencies were involved in making arrests and investigations:
Illinois State University Police Department
McLean County Sheriff’s Department
U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force Response
Illinois State Police.
Bloomington Pantagraph 16 arrested, including 14 ISU students, in sweeping drug bust