Two Dead After Police Respond to ‘Family Problem’ Call with Possible CO Illness at House on Palatine Rd, Inverness

Block of 2200 Palatine Road near Poteet Avenue Inverness (Image captured August 2021 ©2022 Google)
Block of 2200 Palatine Road near Poteet Avenue Inverness (Image captured August 2021 ©2022 Google).

A father is accused of poisoning his children with carbon monoxide from the exhaust of a power generator — killing one child, killing himself, and critically injuring his daughter. A 10 year-old boy is dead. His critically injured sister is 6 years-old. The father was 41 years-old.

The mother of the children arrived at the father’s home on Palatine Road near Poteet Avenue after the male adult had not return their children to the mother after a scheduled visit.

The father, identified as Wood Chang, and son, identified as Austin Chang, were pronounced dead at the scene. The 6 year-old girl was transported to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. Advocate Lutheran General Hospital has the largest hyperbaric treatment center in the state, and has a pediatric intensive care unit. Hyperbaric treatment can be used for the treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning, but it was not initially known if the girl underwent hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

The earth’s atmosphere constantly exerts pressure on your body. During hyperbaric treatment inside a chamber, the patient breathes oxygen while the pressure exerted on the body is increased two to three times. This increase in pressure dissolves oxygen into the blood and body tissues to a much higher level than you are able to obtain under normal conditions. Oxygen at these increased levels can be beneficial in treating a variety of chronic, as well as emergency disorders, such as:

• diabetic nonhealing wounds
• radiation wounds
• compromised skin grafts or flaps
• chronic bone infections
• carbon monoxide poisoning
• decompression sickness (bends)
• arterial gas embolism
• gas gangrene

— Advocate Lutheran General Hospital

Police investigators found a gasoline-powered generator inside the single-family home that had been running, but stopped because of an emptied fuel tank.

Police, firefighters and paramedics from Inverness responded about 4:30 p.m. Sunday, September 11, 2022 to a report of a possible Carbon Monoxide poisoning incident involving three patients in the block of 2200 Palatine Road in Inverness. Police were on the scene first for a reported family problem with three victims possibly affected by carbon monoxide poisoning at a single-family home on the south side of Palatine Road.

Initially it was known that two victims were pronounced dead connected to the scene at the Palatine Road address according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office. A male, age 10, discovered at the scene, was pronounced dead at 5:08 p.m., and a male, age 41, discovered at the scene, was also pronounced dead at 5:08 p.m. Three ambulances were assigned to the scene — one each from Inverness Fire Protection District, Hoffman Estates Fire Department, and Palatine Fire Department. The Palatine ambulance was returned. The number of patients transported from the scene was initially unknown.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office had not released a manner of death or cause of death as of Monday morning at 9:00 a.m.

Get updates from The Cardinal ALL NEWS FEEDS on Facebook. Just ‘LIKE’ the ‘Arlington Cardinal Page (become a fan of our page). The updates cover all posts and sub-category posts from The Cardinal — You can also limit feeds to specific categories. See all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages at …

Help fund The Cardinal

Search Amazon …

Search for products sold on Amazon: is an Amazon Associate website, which means that a small percentage of your purchases gets paid to at no extra cost to you. When you use the search boxes above, any Amazon banner ad, or any product associated with an Amazon banner on this website, you help pay expenses related to maintaining and creating new services and ideas for a resourceful website. See more info at