Police, firefighters and paramedics from Crystal Lake responded about 5:25 p.m. Sunday, April 10, 2022 to a report of a house fire in the block of 1300 Boxwood Drive in Crystal Lake.
Firefighters on arrival reported “heavy fire conditions” in the attached garage of a two-story home with a living area floor over the garage. Fire was still active in the attic of the house at about 6:00 p.m.
Residents were home at the time of the fire and an explosion involving a 20-LB propane tank used for grilling. The propane tank ruptured, causing an explosion during the fire.
A MABAS Division 5 Box Alarm #341 was activated for the structure fire at 5:30 p.m. Firefighters, paramedics and/or command officers from Algonquin-Lake in the Hill Fire Protection District, Cary Fire Department, West Dundee Fire Protection District and other were assigned to the Box Alarm.
Gusty winds contributed to the extension of the fire from the garage to the second floor and attic. A structural collapse also occurred, which brought down the second floor and attic into the garage
Other areas of the house were also damaged by sustained heat, smoke, fire suppression water, and an opening made by firefighters to provide ventilation on the opposite side of the house.
The fire was declared out by 6:35 p.m. The fire is under investigation, and damage to contents and the structure is estimated around $225,000.
Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …
Help fund The Cardinal Arlingtoncardinal.com/sponsor