Passerby Pulls Burning Trash Can from Under Garage Soffit, Prevents House Fire on Euclid Ave Near Prindle Ave, Arlington Heights

Trash can fire after passerby moved burning can away from underneath garage soffit at home on Euclid Avenue in Arlington Heights
Trash can fire after passerby moved burning can away from underneath garage soffit at home on Euclid Avenue in Arlington Heights.

Passerby moves burning trash can away from an attached garage, and prevents a house fire in the middle of the night on Euclid Avenue near Prindle Avenue, Arlington Heights.

Police and firefighter/paramedics from Arlington Heights responded about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, October 10, 2020 to a report of a trash can fire in the block of 2000 East Euclid Avenue in Arlington Heights.

A passerby pulled a burning “toter” hard plastic garbage can away from under an attached garage soffit at a house on Euclid Avenue, just east of Prindle Avenue. The passerby pulled the garbage can away from the garage wile the can was burning, and while residents in the neighborhood were sleeping unaware of the fire.




Soot was just starting to collect on the soffit of the attached garage as firefighters arrived on the scene. Without the detection of the fire and the action by the passerby, the trash can fire could have extended to the attached garage soffit, and could have started a house fire.

Firefighters extinguished the fire with a pump can, but completely extinguished smoldering debris and washed down the debris with a “trash line” hose line from the fire engine. Notice that firefighters made the extra effort to stream water away from the house to avoid splash of debris on the garage door and front porch of the house.

The garbage can, which is flammable itself, was completely destroyed by the fire.




The fire incident points to the importance of avoiding storing garbage cans near flammable structures, especially under soffits, under porches, near wood or plastic fencing, or near any type of flammable structures — especially those connected or in proximity to a house or or other building.

Trash can fire after passerby moved burning can away from underneath garage soffit at home on Euclid Avenue in Arlington Heights
Trash can fire after passerby moved burning can away from underneath garage soffit at home on Euclid Avenue in Arlington Heights.

The information in this article is an early report published before any summary information was confirmed or released by police or fire authorities.

DEVELOPING IF CONTENT IS AVAILABLE …




Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …


Help fund The Cardinal Arlingtoncardinal.com/sponsor