Fall is here and outdoor fire pits are warming up across the Midwest. The Palatine Fire Department reminds residents to take proactive measures to keep their outdoor entertaining safe and fun for everyone.
According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), at least 5,300 injuries related to fire pits and outdoor heaters were treated in emergency rooms in the United States in 2017. That figure is nearly triple the number of fire pit related injuries treated in 2008. Following some simple safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) can help ensure that you safely enjoy your fire pits and outdoor heaters.
• An adult should always be present when a fire pit is burning.
• Place the fire pit on a non-combustible surface.
• Keep anything that can burn, children, and pets at least 3 feet from an open flame.
• Never try to move a fire pit when it is hot or has an active fire burning in it.
• Always keep a hose, water supply or fire extinguisher nearby to extinguish the fire.
• Do not leave a fire unattended, and completely extinguish the fire when you are done using the fire pit.
• When storing lighters and matches, keep them out of the reach of children in a locked cabinet.
• Be courteous to your neighbors, they may have a medical condition that could be severely affected by the smoke from your fire.
• Burn clean cut wood only. Well-seasoned hardwoods are best.
• Check with your local fire department for rules and ordinances governing the use of outdoor fireplaces and fire pits in your area.
Please keep these outdoor fire pit safety tips in mind while you’re enjoying your fall outdoor entertaining.
For more information on fire safety please visit the Palatine Fire Department at www.palatine.il.us, the Consumer Product Safety Commission at www.cpsc.gov, or the National Fire Protection Association at www.nfpa.org
^^ MOBILE? USE VOICE MIC ^^
Please ‘LIKE’ the ‘Arlington Cardinal Page. See all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages at Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …
Help fund The Cardinal Arlingtoncardinal.com/sponsor
THANKS FOR READING CARDINAL NEWS