Recycling bin fire singes siding of house on Wilke Road Arlington Heights.
Arlington Heights police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 9:55 PM Sunday February 3, 2019 to a report of a house fire in the block of 1200 North Wilke Road Arlington Heights, IL. Police and firefighter/paramedics received a report that a passerby saw flames coming from a recycling bin at the side of a house. The passerby alerted residents in the house and called 9-1-1, preventing serious damage to the home and preventing harm to the residents.
One of the residents pulled the recycling bin down the driveway away from the house. However, the siding became singed and blackened from soot.
Firefighters checked for fire extension inside the house, and used a FLIR thermal image camera to check for any hidden ignition areas behind the siding or inside the siding. Firefighters soaked the siding and the ceiling of the porch.
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters and police learned that careless discarding of smoking materials likely started the fire, which in a few more minutes would have likely started the roof and attic on fire.
Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …
Help fund The Cardinal Arlingtoncardinal.com/sponsor