ABC 7 Chicago’s Chuck Goudie: An armed agent from the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development was involved in a morning fatal shooting.
Zion police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 6:09 a.m. Thursday March 29, 2018 to a report of a shooting at Ezekiel Avenue and 30th Street.
A masked suspect was pronounced dead at the scene by Zion Fire Department paramedics. A federal agent was transported to an undisclosed hospital. His condition was not released.
After 12 hours, Illinois State Police released information that the person who shot the masked suspect was a federal agent from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The man shot to death was allegedly pointing a gun at the federal officer who was in a car at the intersection of Ezekiel Avenue and 30th Street in Zion.
What’s Known Connected to the Case
ABC 7 Chicago reports …
• only agents with HUD’s Office of Inspector General are armed.
• The Office of Inspector General office leads fraud investigations and corruption cases, and other criminal investigations related to federal housing programs.
• HUD officials in Washington, DC did not initially respond to requests from ABC 7 Chicago regarding why the agent was said to be on duty, alone on a Zion residential street at 6 a.m.
• that for nearly 12 hours, authorities in charge of the investigation released no information at all – not even the name of the U.S. agency the law enforcement officer involved in the shooting.
Zion police report…
• they were not on scene at the time of the shooting.
• that a male, wearing a bandana over part of his face, armed with a handgun, displayed the gun to the agent, as several other people approached the vehicle.
• the federal agent shot the arm suspect through the agent’s vehicle window.
• the rest of the group with the suspect then ran away.
• man who was shot was in his late teens or early 20s.
• an autopsy is scheduled for Friday in Lake County.
• that the Illinois State Police Public Integrity Unit is conducting an investigation regarding the shooting.
The Zion Police department urges any citizen with information about the incident to contact the Zion Police Department at 847-872-8000.
— ABC 7 Chicago (@ABC7Chicago) March 30, 2018
See also …
Cardinal News Tagging Zion Police Department
GET ALERTS on Facebook.com/ArlingtonCardinal
GET ALERTS on Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies
GET ALERTS on Facebook.com/ArlingtonHeightsCrime
Get updates from The Cardinal CRIME BLOG ‘Plus’ on Facebook. Just ‘LIKE’ the ‘Arlington Cardinal Crime & Forensics’ Page (become a fan of our page). The updates cover all posts in the 24/7 Crime Alerts! and sub-categories. See all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages at Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …
Help fund The Cardinal Arlingtoncardinal.com/sponsor