Palatine police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 5:10 PM Saturday January 20, 2018 to a report of insulation on fire in a laundry room at a house at 1367 North King George Court Palatine, Il. The first fire crew on arrival reported smoke showing from the right side of the property by 5:15 p.m.
Battalion Chief 8 requests a Code 4 working fire response by 5:16 p.m.
Firefighters were able to use a pump can to extinguish the fire involving insulation, and believed the fire was knocked by 5:18 p.m.
Firefighters pulled on ceiling and wall material to check for extension of fire. Firefighters found flames extending through an exterior wall that damaged a small area of siding at the rear of the house.
Damage was confined to the laundry room, and the house sustained very little smoke damage. Residents were not displaced.
Palatine Fire Department fire investigators later learned the homeowner was using a torch to repair a leak in a copper pipe when he unknowingly ignited insulation leading to nearby ceiling joists. The fire was ruled accidental.
The Palatine Fire Department recommends that residents use licensed plumbing contractors to repair leaking pipes and other similar plumbing issues.
FIRE/MEDIC UNITS ASSIGNED …
ENGINE(S): E81 E 82
TRUCK(S): Q83 TL85
RIT: BC ?? T ??
EMS: A4 A25 (returned)
Working Fire Response CODE 4 AT 05:19 PM
CHANGE OF QUARTERS:
GET ALERTS on Facebook.com/ArlingtonCardinal
GET ALERTS on Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies
GET ALERTS on Facebook.com/ArlingtonHeightsCrime
Stay informed with news from PublicSafetyReporter.com’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have Facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the timeline, or send a message to the page.
Help fund The Cardinal Arlingtoncardinal.com/sponsor