Arlington Heights police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 11:11 AM Sunday to a report of an activated fire alarm at a condominium building at 44 North Vail Avenue Arlington Heights, IL. Firefighter/paramedics received a report of an activated fire alarm, followed by a report that a resident pulled the manual alarm after smelling the odor of natural gas on floors 3, 4, 5 and 6. A woman also met firefighters on the first floor and reported a gas odor inside the building.
Firefighters investigated the 7-story building for a natural gas leak by smell sense and by using gas detection meters.
There was a slight metered detection on the 3rd floor with no odor. The meter was reading 140 ppm on the third floor. On floor 5 the meter was reading 100 ppm.
Engine 2’s crew reported an odor on the second floor, but reported reported no detection on the gas detection meter.
A Nicor rep was immediately on the scene, and may have already been on the scene before firefighters arrived.
No gas was detected on the ground floor near the commercial business area.
Firefighters possibly narrowed the source to a condo unit on the second floor where there was some recent cooking activity. A gas leak by a connection was also stopped by a shut at the connection. Apparently the connection will be referred for repairs.
FIRE/MEDIC UNITS ASSIGNED …
ENGINE(S): E2 E3
RIT: BC ?? T ??
EMS: A ??
Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …
Help fund The Cardinal Arlingtoncardinal.com/sponsor