Woman Dies After Clothes Catch Fire In Kitchen at Home on Mason Ave, Morton Grove

Morton Grove police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 11:20 PM Friday to a report of a burn victim at a home in the block of 8400 Mason Avenue Morton Grove, Il. Police and firefighter/paramedics received a report from a woman that all of her clothes caught fire while cooking.

The call was upgraded to a possible house fire after dispatchers weren’t able to determine whether the fire was extinguished.

Engine 4’s crew on arrival reported nothing showing from a single-family house by 11:23 a.m.

Engine 4’s crew canceled everybody except the ambulance (A4).

Homeowner Alice Gutenkauf, age 87, was transported to Lutheran General Hospital and then transferred to Loyola University Medical Center Burn Unit, where she died at 8:38 p.m. Friday. She suffered first- to third-degree burns to 70 percent of her body.

Her death was ruled accidental by the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office in Chicago.

Morton Grove Fire Department reported her clothing caught fire when she was heating water in her kitchen.

FIRE/MEDIC UNITS ASSIGNED …

ENGINE(S): E4 E5 E3

TRUCK(S): TL2

CHIEF(S): BC4 on scene 400 on scene

EMS: A5 (returned) A4

LIVE TRAFFIC MAP of neighborhood to a report of a burn victim at a home in the block of 8400 Mason Avenue Morton Grove, Il …




Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …


Help fund The Cardinal Arlingtoncardinal.com/sponsor