Mobile Home Fire Caused by Unattended Space Heater and Propane Heater on McClean Blvd, Elgin

Elgin police and firefighters responded about 1:40 PM Monday to a mobile home fire at 909 South McClean Boulevard Elgin, IL. Firefighters on arrival reported black smoke coming from a mobile home. The fire had fully-engulfed the mobile home by the time firefighters arrived.

 SPACE HEATER … 

Elgin Fire Department photo tweeted by WBBM.

The fire was extinguished within about 20 minutes, but firefighters worked for an additional hour to check for extension of fire in hidden areas of the structure. The home was red-tagged as uninhabitable.

The homeowners had used a propane heater and a space heater to heat the home and thaw a frozen water pump. They left the home unattended when the fire ignited the home.

Damage was estimated at more than $75,000. The homeowners did not have homeowners insurance.

Firefighters caution against using propane heaters inside, and also advised against using space heaters unattended.

LIVE TRAFFIC MAP of neighborhood to a mobile home fire at 909 South McClean Boulevard Elgin, IL …




Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …