Apartment Space Heater Fire on Chariot Court, Mount Prospect — Extinguished in About 15 Minutes


Mount Prospect police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 3:32 PM Saturday to a report of an apartment fire at 1721 Chariot Court Mount Prospect, IL. Police and firefighter/paramedics received a report that a heater was on fire in the apartment. The address was later corrected to 1723 Chariot Court.

Mount Prospect police on the scene reported smoke showing from the top of the building. First fire crews on the scene reported medium brown smoke showing from the third floor by 11:15 a.m.

The fire was brought under control within 15 minutes and was declared “fire out” on the radio at about 11:45 a.m.

Firefighters from Arlington Heights and Des Plaines assisted Mount Prospect firefighters.

Firefighters determined a malfunctioning space heater caused the fire.

On their official Twitter account, Mount Prospect Fire Department reminded people of safety recommendations for general heating and for using space heaters from the National Fire Protection Association:

Heating equipment is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February. Some simple steps can prevent most heating-related fires from happening.

Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.

Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.

+ + +

Space heater specific …
Plug them directly into an outlet, don’t use extension cords

use space heaters only in well-ventilated areas and at least three feet from curtains, clothing or furniture;

look for a space heater equipped with a guard around the heat source to keep children and pets safe.

+ + +

Never use your oven to heat your home.

Have a qualified professional install stationary space heating equipment, water heaters or central heating equipment according to the local codes and manufacturer’s instructions.

Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.

Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.

Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.

Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.

Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.

Test smoke alarms monthly.


Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …

Arlingtoncardinal.com is an Amazon Associate website, which means that a small percentage of your purchases gets paid to Arlingtoncardinal.com at no extra cost to you. When you use the search boxes above, any Amazon banner ad, or any product associated with an Amazon banner on this website, you help pay expenses related to maintaining Arlingtoncardinal.com and creating new services and ideas for a resourceful website. See more info at Arlingtoncardinal.com/AdDisclosure