Forklift Hits Overhead Ceiling Gas Heater; Gas Leak at Packaging Supply Warehouse on Mitchell Blvd, Schaumburg

Schaumburg police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 11:23 a.m. Tuesday to a report of a gas leak after a forklift hit an overhead, ceiling gas-powered heater in a warehouse at JIT Packaging, 1365 Mitchell Boulevard. Employees heard a hissing noise coming from a pipe connected to the ceiling heating unit and smelled gas from the unit, which was located in the northeast corner of the building.

Firefighters reported arriving at a single-story storage facility with nothing showing. Firefighters shut off the gas meter by about 11:31 a.m. Firefighters also found a second gas meter, which was also shut down. Firefighters inside reported that the shut offs stopped the gas leak and hissing inside the building. Circuit breakers to the gas heaters were also shut off.


Next, firefighters worked on ventilating the building. Employees were evacuated from the building. Skylight

Firefighters called in a Mobile Ventilation Unit (MVU) from MABAS Division 3 in Wheeling about 11:45 a.m. The MVU arrived about 12:26 p.m. and was not needed. Firefighters had good gas readings, just as the MVU arrived.

Nicor was on the scene by 11:51 a.m.

According to JIT Packaging, which is changing the company name to The Packaging Wholesalers, the company offers Wholesale prices to Distributors for packaging supplies, such as corrugated boxes, bubble & foam products, labels, loose fill, mailing envelopes, protective wraps, tapes and more.