View Larger Map
Neighborhood of 1300 block of Fargo Avenue, Des Plaines — site of rescue of two people from a fire.
Des Plaines police and firefighters responded about 6:43 p.m. Friday to a residential fire. Firefighters rescued a grandmother and a child from the basement of a two-story townhouse. Both victims were transported to Level I Trauma Center Advocate Lutheran General Hospital.
The fire was reported extinguished by about 7:18 p.m. Firefighters from Elk Grove Village and Rosemont assisted Des Plaines Fire Department.
Gasoline that was spilled near a water heater gas pilot light ignited the fire. The grandmother and the child were found unconscious in the basement by firefighters. The grandmother was found on top of the child in an effort to protect the child. Both victims suffered from serious smoke inhalation, but are expected to survive, and were listed in critical but stable condition late Friday night.
Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …