Arlington Heights police and firefighter/paramedics responded about 3:29 p.m. Sunday to a report of smoke in a second floor hallway of the C-Wing at 800 West Rand Road. Firefighters reported significant smoke in the center of the C-wing at a Stonebridge Apartments building, 800 West Rand Road.
Firefighters discovered standpipe hose (white fire hose) in a second floor level stairwell had been set on fire, and a piece of cloth had been set on fire on the first floor. The cloth was placed under a door to an unoccupied apartment unit, which ignited the door. Both fires were out, but had caused significant smoke in the building. Most firefighter operations were committed to ventilation of the smoke in hallways.
No injuries were reported, and some people evacuated the building, but many people were allowed to stay inside their apartment units. Those residents that were evacuated were permitted to return to floors one through three at about 4:07 p.m. Access to stairwells was not permitted while firefighters were on the scene. Residents of the fourth floor were allowed to return about 4:19 p.m.
A fire investigator was requested about 3:40 p.m. Police also sent an arson investigator to the scene. Buffalo Grove firefighter/paramedics assisted Arlington Heights firefighters on the call.
A property representative was on the scene by 3:55 p.m. Sunday.
Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …