Palatine 4-Unit Apartment Fire After Lightning Strike

 amazon fresh   amazon prime    audible  

Palatine Fire Department responded 9:00 a.m. Friday, July 29, 2011 to a report of fire at 1222 East Inverrary, Palatine. Residents of the four-unit apartment building reported smoke coming from the roof and eave areas. Fire department crews found smoke throughout the common attic area of the building but no fire. Fire department crews quickly ventilated the roof and contained any smoke damage to the attic area.

The source of the smoke was determined to be a direct lightning strike from storms passing during the night. Residents also state knowing of close lightning strikes during the night. A damaged area of the roof was identified as the direct strike and charring was noted to small areas where the lightening ignited insulation and roofing material. All units in the building were left as habitable and roof and attic damage was estimated to be $5,000 by Palatine Fire Department investigators. There were no reports of injuries.

The Palatine Fire Department was assisted by the Arlington Heights Fire Department, Buffalo Grove Fire Department, and Long Grove Fire Protection District.

Video showing intense lightning during the storm occurring from late Thursday to early Friday.

Intense lightning was reported in the northwest and west suburbs from storms that advanced into the area about 10:30 p.m. and continued through to early morning.

Schaumburg Fire Department responded to two fires before midnight, apparently caused by lightning strikes in the southern portion of the village.

One house fire was in the 500 block of Dogwood Court, Schaumburg. Firefighters got the fire under control quickly, but not before fire caused enough damage to require a boardup service. A second house fire was in the 300 block of Carmelhead Lane — about 1.2 miles west-northwest of the house on Dogwood Court. The lightning strike at the Carmelhead house may have struck a metal dryer vent low and outside on the wall near the foundation. The fire apparently moved up under the siding toward the attic and roof. Or it may have struck high on the house without igniting, but instead ignited near the low-positioned dryer vent as the lightning went to ground. Serious damage was reported at the house on Carmelhead Lane. A boardup service also responded to the Carmelhead location.

Also in Schaumburg, a chimney was toppled — possibly by a lightning strike (address unknown). is an Amazon Associate website, which means that a small percentage of your purchases gets paid to at no extra cost to you. When you use the search boxes above, any Amazon banner ad, or any product associated with an Amazon banner on this website, you help pay expenses related to maintaining and creating new services and ideas for a resourceful website. See more info at