Ask Paul B: Investment in Boyfriend Crashed … How to Recover?

... #ad▼

Dear Paul B,

I am one of the most relaxed, composed, and peaceful people you could ever meet. I have several degrees, and I have helped organize a wonderful charity here in Chicago. Of all my accomplishments, I thought I was “investing” in the career of my former boyfriend. I practically single handedly footed the bill for his post graduate education. When he graduated in June of this year, he bought me a beautiful dinner and then left me a note thanking me for my “help” and that it was adios forever. I feel so used, stupid and totally hurt. I don’t want to go out with friends and my humiliation is just tearing me up inside. How do I recover form this ignorant mistake (not to mention the 5 1/2 years with this scum.)



Dear Ellen

When matters of the heart enter into the equation, there are no “degrees” that will help you make the right decision. I am certain that you feel the pain, and the devastation of your lost relationship. You were generous beyond words, but there are no certainties in romance (or for anything for that matter.) You lead with your heart, and you cross your fingers. You sound as though you need to take a nice cruise and refresh, rebuild, and re-energize yourself. Your ex-beau is the dork, not you. He was weak, and you built him a new life with your support, on many levels. You really could have asked for a “financial contract” for his tuition, but I don’t think you saw this “train coming.” Don’t let him ruin the rest of your life. Get Over It!!! We all make mistakes, and then move on. I believe this was meant to happen. Now you need to get out there, and meet new people. Times a wasting, gf.. Good luck to you.


ASK PAUL B! usually appears on Thursday evenings, but occasionally appears on other days or times so the article might be introduced to new readers.

Advice is offered for general discussion. Any advice from a columnist or someone who has never actually met you is not guaranteed to be fit for your particular situation. While the advice might help send you in the right direction to find a solution to your problem, missing information or lack of specific dialogue might cause you harm, or delay a solution to your problem. Never use this advice as the sole replacement for advice from a physician, psychologist or other health professional or other professional. The information provided through any post or Ask Paul B! post is not a substitute for health, legal and other professional advice where specific facts and circumstances warrant additional personal attention. If any reader requires legal advice, health advice or other professional assistance, each reader should always consult his or her own legal, health professional, or other professional advisors and discuss the facts and circumstances that specifically apply to the user. Consider the topics discussed as a part of your overall experience for your pursuit of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Don’t hesitate to get help when you might need professional help.

The views of Ask Paul B! are not necessarily the views of The Cardinal —

Search Amazon …

Search for products sold on Amazon: is an Amazon Associate website, which means that a small percentage of your purchases gets paid to at no extra cost to you. When you use the search boxes above, any Amazon banner ad, or any product associated with an Amazon banner on this website, you help pay expenses related to maintaining and creating new services and ideas for a resourceful website. See more info at