Chicago firefighters responded to a Still and Box Alarm about 4:04 p.m. Wednesday to a report of locomotive fire in a train yard near Roosevelt Road and Canal Street. A fire started in the locomotive engine after a mechanical problem occurred with Amtrak locomotive No. 71.
Two Amtrak workers who were transported to area hospitals to be evaluated for smoke inhalation.
Smoke was seen coming from the exhaust vent of the malfunctioning engine in the rail yard before it was extinguished about 4:30 p.m.
Video of Amtrak locomotive fire from high rise nearby.
Second Video of Amtrak locomotive fire from high rise nearby.
Stay informed with news from The Cardinal’s Emergencies Behind the Scenes Facebook page — Facebook.com/CardinalEmergencies. Includes links to favorite public safety and emergency rescuers and product manufacturers and safety companies that have facebook pages. Submit your pictures or just stay up-to-date on with fire, rescue, EMS and police photo galleries. Please add your public safety photo to the wall album — go direct to the Arlington Cardinal Emergencies Behind the Scenes photos. For a list of all of The Cardinal Facebook fan pages, go to Arlingtoncardinal.com/about/facebook …